Case Studies and Data Portals
Revision as of 01:35, 4 December 2015 by Abarger
There are many useful case studies about open data published around the world. Finance will develop some for Australia.
- City of Greater Geelong: On the Value of Open Roof Prints
- The New Zealand Government has a number of useful open data case studies published.
- Lateral Economics’ Open for Business report has a number of Australian case studies.
- New apps explore geological time
- Video: Department of Industry - The Open Data Experience - Developing the Energy Rating App (transcript) and post on the AGCTO blog.
- From DigitaGov: APIs in Government. Gives a good non-technical overview of Application Programming Interfaces.
- State of the Service Report 2013–14 Chapter 7 - Open data supporting open innovation
- The data.gov.au team created a mindmap of the the government data landscape in Australia. Any updates to this mindmap are welcome.
- Launch of new data.gov.au in July 2013
- An Australian Linked Data Working Group was established
- FIND - Spatial Data Catalogue
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
- Launch of data.nsw.gov.au in June 2013 and the NSW Open Data Policy, Implementation Plan and Guidelines.
- Queensland's open data portal: data.qld.gov.au.
- Launch of data.sa.gov.au in June 2013 and have been releasing an enormous amount of new and high value datasets.
- Launch of the Open Data Declaration in September 2013.
- The publication of SA's Open Data toolkit in November 2014
- Launched www.data.vic.gov.au in 2010.
- August 2012 - release of the DataVic Access Policy and the Intellectual Property Policy.
- April 2013 - release of the DataVic Access Policy Standards and Guidelines.
- July 2013 - integration of the Spatial DataMart and Data.Vic completed with access to over 500 spatial data sources (previously restricted) - current total over 1000 data records.
- Launched data.wa.gov.au in 2015.
- Have been working primarily on spatial data requirements for the state and with the Sense-T sensor data project.
City of Melbourne
- Launched a beta open data portal at http://data.melbourne.vic.gov.au in May 2014.
- GovHack 2013 ran in June with 130 projects and over 1000 participants in 8 cities nationally.
- Random Hacks of Kindness competition in Melbourne
- Sydney City Data Slam.
- The NZ Government have done a lot of work to publish NZ data at data.govt.nz.
- They also created some excellent open data case studies that Finance highly recommend, including one where the release of traffic density data led to improved prediction of GDP growth and decline in the New Zealand economy.